Monday, July 30, 2007

Bible Reading

I'm really grateful for Bible reading plan I'm currently using. Besides the benefit of reading through the Bible in one year, I'm also enjoying the ability to read and absorb passages of Scripture that I would normally be unlikely to study. I'm grateful for the plan because it enables me to grasp the big picture of Scripture. It allows me to grow in my understanding of how it all fits together.

The plan assists in the discipline of reading the unfamiliar and the familiar parts of Scripture. Personally, I know that without a plan or at least a determination, I would be more likely to revisit my favorite Scripture passages over and over and neglect others. The plan helps me to stay balanced in my Bible intake.

I am all for revisiting our favorite Scriptures and especially the ones that God has spoken to us through. I think that is an essential part of the discipline of Scripture meditation. I also know that sometimes I can tend to dismiss some passages because they are more immediately relevant than others. While that is true, it doesn't justify ignoring those passages. After all "All Scripture is God-breathed and is profitable for teaching, correcting, rebuking, and training in righteousness" (2 Tim 3:16). And who knows, sometimes God speaks to us out of passages that we would least expect him to.

I'm grateful to be able to glean so much from the more unfamiliar portions of Scripture. I'd encourage you to go for it too!

No comments: