Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Pharisee Rebukes

As I was reading in Matthew this morning, I re-noticed something that I tend to overlook. Jesus really lays into the Pharisees! The entire chapter of Matt. 23 is devoted to harshly rebuking the Pharisees. What I find interesting is the difference between the way Jesus treats religious people and the way he treats irreligious people. It seems like he treats people like Zacchaeus, Mary Magdelene, and the demonized Gaderene a lot differently. Note his use of language to the Pharisees:

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the kingdom of heaven in men's faces." v.13
"Woe to you, blind guides" v.16
"You blind men!" v.19
"You are like whitewashed tombs" v.27
"You snakes! You brood of vipers!" v.33

Though I've read this before, I was caught off guard. Jesus was very adamant about these guys. We typically tend to view Jesus as the cool, collected, storm calmer and forget that he has a very intense, passionate side about him.

I think what he is getting at here is that hypocrisy is the enemy of true faith. Jesus found a lot more genuineness in the sinners than in the religious leaders. The sinners had nothing to hide. They weren't trying to fake anyone out.

Is it possible that some sinners are closer to a relationship with God than some of the most religious people we know?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

John 10:16I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.

Mike said...

I'm not sure what you're getting at with Jn. 10.16. Would you like to clarify a little?

Mike said...

I would like to clarify that I in no way see Jesus as favoring non-religious people over religious people. Jesus called out the Pharisees on their hypocrisy. They looked good on the outside, but inside were full of sin. The tax collectors and prostitutes that came to Jesus had no pretense. They were not trying to hide behind a spiritual "facade". Jesus' goal was to say that mere outward acts of righteousness are meaningless unless they come from a genuine heart that places faith in him and not religious rituals.