Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Life Control

Have you ever felt like your schedule was ruling you rather than the other way around? Have you ever felt like life was just pulling you along with it? I've recently been thinking about the importance of making the most of every moment and being a good steward of the time God has given me on this earth.

Many of us have great ambitions and goals that we believe we were created for. I've also noticed that some of our greatest dreams will never become a reality until they are pursued intentionally. Our dreams are vital, and we need them, but dreams that are never acted upon become nothing more than a nice thought. Intentionally pursuing our dreams requires an aggressive approach to time management.

At the end of my life I don't want to have to look back in regret thinking about what could have been and should have been. I don't want to have to wonder what could have been if I'd only... or spent more time doing... or didn't do... so much. I think that an aggressive approach to time management is a demonstration of our committment to God's purpose and destiny for our lives.

When it comes to working productively in areas of leadership, I'm learning that each of us should look at our schedules and note the things that only we can do and delegate the rest. This will free us up to spend the best time on the most important things. I'm not advocating that we should avoid doing things in our job description though :) For an excellent discussion on time management and self-leadership check out Jeff's post here.

Here's a good verse for thought "Be careful, then, how you live- not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." Eph. 5.15-16

Time management is about honoring God by making the most of every moment he's given us. I'm certainly not an expert, but I know that if we don't control our lives, they will control us. Let's take control of our time and plunge head first into God's dreams for our lives.

1 comment:

kimberlyb said...

Ok, so check this out... This morning I had the "opportunity" to have a bible study with P.J. or (Palmer) and we studied Eph. 5 for 2 hours!
Yeah, God is great - But we dug in to mainly v1-21 and reading your blog today gave rise to a new approach to planning my life.

Why not be aggressive with our time management? Knowing what we want is part of being disciplined, and knowing we want God structures our every move. Opportunities don't always arise and when they do - there should be no time wasted with unwise decisions. Just these few verses in Ephesians can ignite so many truths.

By the way - I like the new colors!