Tuesday, September 4, 2007

George Muller On Overcoming ADD in Prayer

I know I'm probably the only one who's ever had to deal with this, but have you ever struggled with ADD in prayer? You know, trying to be focused in prayer but instead end up experiencing all kinds of distractions. Like when you sit down to pray and then remember that your car needs an oil change, your refrigerator is empty, the room you're in could really use a good cleaning, and wow! your already 10 minutes late for work!

So what do you do? How do you deal with it?

George Muller wrote something really insightful regarding this in his autobiography. He said:

"The primary business I must attend to every day is fellowship with the Lord. The first concern is not how much I might serve the Lord, but how my inner man might be nourished...The most important thing I had to do was to read the Word of God and meditate on it...Formerly, when I rose, I began to pray as soon as possible. But I often spent a quarter of an hour to an hour on my knees struggling to pray while my mind wandered. Now I rarely have this problem. As my heart is nourished by the truth of the Word, I am brought into true fellowship with God... This exercise of the soul can be best performed after the inner man has been nourished by meditation on the Word of God."

Muller basically proposes that meditation on the Scriptures is a powerful means of staying focused in prayer. As our minds are occupied with the truth of God's Word our souls will stay nourished and focused in prayer.

No comments: