Friday, May 25, 2007

Wisdom From Edwards

Jonathan Edwards, the famous 18th Century pastor and theologian has been very inspiring to me in the little I have been able to study him. He includes in him memoirs a list of 70 resolutions to guide his life. The passion, focus, and seriousness of his life is contagiously inspiring. Thought I'd share a couple of his resolutions that he listed which particularly stood out to me (they are all awesome though, and worth reading). Following is a preface he writes followed by five of his resolutions:

"being sensible that I am unable to do any thing without God's help, I do humbly entreat him, by his grace, to enable me to keep these Resolutions, so far as they are agreeable to his will, for Christ's sake."

4. Resolved, Never to do any manner of thing, whether in soul or body, less or more, but what tends to the glory of God, nor be, nor suffer it, if I can possibly avoid it.

6. Resolved, To live with all my might, while I do live.

7. Resolved, Never to do any thing, which I should be afraid to do if it were the last hour of my life.

17. Resolved, That I will live so, as I shall wish I had done when I come to die.

28. Resolved, To study the Scriptures so steadily, constantly, and frequently, as that I may find, and plainly perceive, myself to grow in the knowledge of the same.


I have enjoyed studying and would recommend for further study The Works of Jonathan Edwards, 2 Volumes.

No comments: