Monday, December 3, 2007

Coming Out As Gold

Apologies for my recent lack of blogging regularity. Life's been pretty intense for us recently, but I hope to get back into a swing of sorts.

In my Scripture reading today I came across Job 23:10. The power of this verse is seen in light of its context. Job was a man who experienced extreme physical and emotional adversity in his life. His possessions were taken and his children were all killed. After that he experienced intense physical afflictions as he was covered with sores from head to foot.

In the midst of this unexplained and perplexing situation he writes of God in 23:10

"But he knows the way that I take; when he has tried me, I shall come out as gold."

Job didn't allow the pressure and tragedy of his situation to make him bitter against God. In the midst of it, he found a way to humble himself before God and trust that whatever God's purpose, he would come through it as gold on the other side.

When we face difficulty in life we should ask ourselves what God is teaching us through it. He is shaping our character through the various trials that we face. Truly he works all things for the good of those who love him, who are called according to his purpose.

No comments: